2. We believe teachers must help students develop the essential skills and habits of mind they need to use their minds well.
3. We believe students are intrinsically motivated to learn, achieve, and create.
4. We believe interdependent collaboration between students, teachers, and parents is vital; we believe that students, teachers, and parents must relate to one another with mutual respect and trust.
5. We believe a special dimension of equality exists in the teacher/student relationship. We celebrate this dimension because it allows students to transcend their former academic self-perceptions and empowers students to re-imagine themselves as successful and creative learners and individuals.
6. We believe in using tools of authentic assessment (including student portfolios, exhibitions, performances, documented research, and more) to evaluate student mastery of skills and concepts.
7. We expect students to act in ways that benefit the community; it is essential to work cooperatively and to think and act ethically.
8. We believe in our skilled faculty: collegial friends of the highest order and talented student mentors. We provide myriad opportunities for our faculty to grow, collaboratively and individually, as both teachers and learners.